Browse by category
General Guidelines on Permissions
Permissions issues for book authors and editors
Before submitting your final manuscript to us, please check that you have cleared all necessary permissions. The following is a brief guide to what needs clearing:
- If any of the chapters in your book have been previously published, we need to have written permission from the publisher to reprint the material, even if it is not exactly the same as what was previously published. This also applies to material that has previously been published in a language other than English.
- Material that is available on the internet isn’t necessarily free of copyright.
- All quotes over 400 words in length need to be cleared.
- Maps, tables, figures, and photographs need clearing if they are not your own work.
- Poems – the odd line or two is fine, but anything longer will need clearing.
Your commissioning editor will be able to supply you with a standard letter for requesting permissions if you need it. We require non-exclusive worldwide reprint rights in English in both print and electronic form. If you have any problems clearing permissions, please let us know and we’ll be happy to help. Please send any letters of permission to us when submitting your final manuscript.