Solutions for the Assessment of Bilinguals
Edited by: Virginia C. Mueller Gathercole
- Related Formats:
- Hardback, Ebook(PDF), Ebook(EPUB)
- 7th Oct 2013
- Multilingual Matters
- Number of pages:
- 234mm x 156mm
Researchers and practitioners are frequently challenged when faced with the assessment of bilinguals. The authors of this book tackle this challenge from different sociolinguistic perspectives and propose strategies for the assessment of bilinguals across different age groups, abilities, and domains. Their thoughtful insights provide research-based principles to build a unified foundation that can stimulate new directions in research and practice.
Vera Gutierrez-Clellen, San Diego State University, USA
This book, edited by Virginia Gathercole, a leading figure in the study of bilingualism and multilingualism, presents cutting-edge research in a burgeoning field and provides a comprehensive perspective on the assessment of bilinguals which is desperately needed. The book can serve as a valuable source not only for researchers interested in solutions for assessment of bilinguals but also for students and clinicians who want to study and work with this population.
Sharon Armon-Lotem, Bar-Ilan University, Israel
Virginia C. Mueller Gathercole is Professor of Linguistics at Florida International University, Professor of Psychology at Bangor University, and until recently acted as Co-Director of the Centre for Research on Bilingualism in Theory and Practice at Bangor University. Her research focuses on monolingual and bilingual language acquisition, especially in relation to semantics, morpho-syntax and assessment, and the acquisition of English, Spanish, and Welsh in Spanish-English, Welsh-English, and Spanish-Welsh bilinguals. Professor Gathercole is an Associate Editor of First Language and has been working in the field for over 30 years.
1. Virginia C. Mueller Gathercole: Assessment of Bilinguals: Innovative Solutions
2. Fred Genesee, Robert Savage, Caroline Erdos and Corinne Haigh: Identification of Reading Difficulties in Students Schooled in a Second Language
3. Carolyn Ann Letts: What are the Building Blocks for Language Acquisition? Underlying Principles of Assessment for Language Impairment in the Bilingual Context
4. María-José Ezeizabarrena, Julia Barnes, Iñaki García, Andoni Barreña and Margareta Almgren: Using Parental Report Assessment for Bilingual Preschoolers: The Basque Experience
5. Ciara O'Toole: Using Parent Report to Assess Bilingual Vocabulary Acquisition: A Model from Irish
6. Elizabeth D. Peña, Lisa M. Bedore and Christine Fiestas: Development of Bilingual Semantic Norms: Can Two be One?
7. Hans Stadthagen-González, Virginia C. Mueller Gathercole, Rocío Pérez Tattam, Feryal Yavas: Vocabulary Assessment of Bilingual Adults: To Cognate or Not to Cognate
8. Maria Kambanaros, Kleanthes K. Grohmann: Profiling (Specific) Language Impairment in Bilingual Children: Preliminary Evidence from Cyprus
9. Enlli Môn Thomas, Virginia C. Mueller Gathercole and Emma K. Hughes: Sociolinguistic Influences on the Linguistic Achievement of Bilinguals: Issues for the Assessment of Minority Language Competence
10. Eva Rodríguez-González: The Effects of Peer Feedback Practices in Spanish Second Language Writing
11. Erika Hoff: Commentary on Issues in the Assessment of Bilinguals and Solutions for the Assessment of Bilinguals